Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gluten Free Focaccia - Recipe Review

I am excited to tell about a recipe I tried last night, Gluten Free Focaccia Bread with Tomatoes and Garlic. I found the gluten free blog called Karina's Kitchen. It is so good that we have another loaf in the oven right now. This yummy bread is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and soy free. It also contains whole grain flours. That is a pretty steep challenge for bread, but with this excellent recipe it is a success.

I did a few things differently, and learned a lesson when making the bread which I will tell you about, and hopefully save you a little frustration.

First of all, don't add extra water to the recipe, even if you think it needs it. It make the bread take longer to bake. After the bread had bake an extra 10 minutes and still wasn't done, I took the bread out and cut it into wedges and then put them on a cookie sheet, and then back to the oven. They were nicely done in another 10 - 15 minutes. And the results were very delicious.

Second, the tomatoes that were thinly sliced were better then the ones slice thick.

Third, I didn't have any millet flour or potato starch. So I subbed in some potato flour, some corn flour a little garfava flour, and some more sorghum flour, and the flour combination worked just fine. It seems that brown rice flour or teff would work just fine too, if that is what you have on hand.

Also, I used an Italian herb mix instead of the basil and thyme in the recipe. And I sprinkled the Italian seasoning on top of the bread too before putting it in the oven.

If you are wishing for special gluten free breads, this one is likely to satisfy.

-----------

Follow up note - 4/28/09

I have made the bread several times since then, and have discovered that it works best when you follow the recipe as close as possible. The potato starch and millet flour are very important.
Substitute only if you have to and you will have better results.

Also, the tomatoes taste yummy baked on the bread, but make the bread soggy. You may wish to add them at the end, or not at all.

1 comment:

  1. Nice variations! I have some teff flour that I haven't tried yet so this will be the first experiment! It's my 10 year old son who's gluten intolerant, and he (like the rest of us!) loves Italian food and bread. Can't wait to try this.

    jane x

    ReplyDelete

So glad to share good recipes with you. Your comments will help improve the recipes. If you have a question, be sure to ask. If you try a recipe, be sure to come back and let us know how it worked for you. Always remember that taste buds do change and with time a person can learn to really love unfamiliar foods.