Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gluten-free Pumpkin Muffins


These muffins have a wonderful texture for gluten free breads. Even those who eat gluten love these muffins. Make a double recipe so you can use the less expensive large cans of pumpkin. Then you can feed a crowd or put some in the freezer and bring some out as you need them.


Note:  I have updated this recipe, and added an oil-free variation of my famous Pumpkin Muffin recipe.  I really think that it is better then ever.  You can find it here.

Pumpkin Muffins - Gluten-free, Vegan, Delicious
By Barbara Frohne
www.wildflowermorningrecipes.blogspot.com

Puree, in a blender, the following ingredients until smooth and creamy:

1/4 cup soy milk or rice milk or water
one 15 oz can pumpkin
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine and mix together:
1 c. oat flour made from gluten free oats ground in the blender
1 c. sorghum flour
1/3 cup flaxseed (linseed) meal (grind whole flax seeds in a blender) (chia seeds also work
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and blend until moistened. Spoon into a greased muffin pan or muffin paper. Mound the dough up as high as you want the muffin to reach.  They won't grow much taller, and they won't run away, or spread out onto the pan.

Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 30 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Note:  I usually make a double batch of these so I can use the more economical large sized can of pumpkin, and I have plenty of muffins left over for later use.





15 comments:

  1. I wonder... could you substitute applesauce for the oil and dates for the honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe. I've been looking for a gluten free pumpkin muffin recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were delicious. Moist and flavorful! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across this recipe today and have a batch baking right now! Thanks...the batter was fantastic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahoy there, so fun to share your recipes. i am gluten, dairy, corn, sugar free and trying to eat less meat so your site is very helpful to me. about to make these muffins for tailgating at an Air Force football game Saturday. can almost smell them....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi !
    I made these when my sister stayed over, she has coeliac. Very flavourful, but we both felt that an egg might help the texture even more. The raisins made a nice addition.

    Had to make homemade pumpkin puree though, couldn't find the canned stuff gluten free. It was actually really easy; put a quartered and seeded pumpkin in my crockpot on low overnight, then put the pulp in a blender. Ta dah !

    I will be trying it again, to see if our hunch about the egg helps...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi anonymous,
    Yes, I'm sure an egg would "help" with the texture. Eggs always do. But my goal in developing this recipe was to have a delicious gluten-free muffin without eggs, or other animal foods. And it needed to be pretty low in refined fat, too. It took some work, but the results are successful, based on the limitations. This recipe has the best texture I have found so far for a whole grain muffin, without any dairy products or eggs. That's a tall order. If you have suggestions that fit within the parameters of this blog, please do bring them on! I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe! Many thanks. I added egg replacer (Ener-G brand) equal to one egg and 3/4 tsp xanthan gum, simply because I am used to adding these ingredients to all of my muffins. (I never use eggs or wheat, and I've been instructed that xanthan gum is an important ingredient for non-wheat baked goods, but perhaps it's not necessary??) I had to omit the nuts and raisins because my two-year-old is allergic to the former and not very fond of the latter. But I look forward to trying those ingredients the next time I bake exclusively for myself -- whenever that may be! I plan to try some of your other recipes soon, as your diet seems similar to mine. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a note: Hanna at A Chai Kind of Day adapted and used this recipe to make mini donuts. What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing, Hanna.

    http://achaikindofday.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/gluten-free-vegan-pumpkin-baked-mini-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on an elimination diet, and cannot have honey. Any ideas for what I could use instead? These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you can't have honey, I would experiment with different sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thanks so much for this awesome recipe! I am using applesauce instead of the oil and it works great. And, am adding vegan chocolate chips instead of raisins and nuts, to make it a family fave. I take your advice and double the recipe so I can have some in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know about subbing applesauce for oil. I will have to try that next time. It might make it more moist. I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  13. I continue to make this recipe (weekly as my husband and I carry them in our work lunches) and I've substituted the flours. I use cocunut flour and almond meal, it's coarser with the cocunut flour but is still yummy. Since I'm using coconut flour I now use cocunt oil for half of the oil and applesauce for the other half of oil. This recipe is so reliable; I've never had a bad batch! I so appreciate you creating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna, Thank you so much for telling me. I'm so glad you like it too. Thank you also for telling us about using coconut flour. I am sure that will be helpful for some people's needes

      Delete

So glad to share good recipes with you. Your comments will help improve the recipes. If you have a question, be sure to ask. If you try a recipe, be sure to come back and let us know how it worked for you. Always remember that taste buds do change and with time a person can learn to really love unfamiliar foods.