Thursday, September 8, 2011

Beets and Zucchini - What to do I do with Them?


We have been having so much fun with the produce coming out of our garden, but at times it comes much faster then we can eat it.  

We have some pretty beets in the garden this year.  When sliced thinly with the mandolin slicer the Chioga beets look like peppermint candy, and the golden beets look like disks of sunshine beside them.  I am dehydrating them to put in soup, or to eat as little veggie chips in the winter.



 I keep this noisy dehydrator on the deck where it doesn't add heat to my kitchen.  My deck is almost like our summer kitchen, for that is where I do my canning also.


 If the zucchini is large, I grate it and make zucchini bread, or zucchini patties (recipe in my last post).  If they are smaller I cook them in stir fry, or I slice them and dehydrate them for use later in the winter.  I think these will be good layered in some tomato sauce in a casserole dish with onions for some zucchini "lasagne".


My mandolin slicer also makes little match-stick sizes.  So I made a couple jars of them too. 

What are you doing with beets and zucchini?


2 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara, thank you for your comment on my blog - I appreciated it. You have an interesting blog as well! Blessings, Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 15 years ago I picked up a cook book in a little Amish town in Indiana that you might like for ideas on how to use an overabundance of garden produce. It is is appropriately titled, "Bountiful Harvest." Here is a link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bountiful-Harvest-Mary-Beth-Jung/dp/0898211891. Many of the recipes need adapting, but that's what a recipe is for, right? :) There are some really good ideas.

    ReplyDelete

So glad to share good recipes with you. Your comments will help improve the recipes. If you have a question, be sure to ask. If you try a recipe, be sure to come back and let us know how it worked for you. Always remember that taste buds do change and with time a person can learn to really love unfamiliar foods.