Thursday, April 5, 2012
Carrot Cashew Loaf - GF, Vegan
We shared a meal tonight with some friends. Everyone enjoyed this recipe. It turned out wonderful. I adapted it from several recipes, and made it gluten free.
Carrot Cashew Loaf - GF, Vegan,
3 cups of carrots, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups raw cashews
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 Tablespoons tahini
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp basil flakes
1/3 - 1/2 cup stock from the cooked carrots or water
1. Place chopped carrots into a pan with water, or in a steamer basket. Bring to a boil, and cook until very tender. Drain the carrots and reserve the cooking water.
2. While carrots are cooking, sauté onions and garlic in a little water until softened.
3. While carrots and onions are cooking, place cashews and sunflower seeds in a food processor and grind them until they are in small pieces. Move them to a mixing bowl.
4. Place the brown rice in the food processor and grind until it is in smaller pieces. Move the rice to the mixing bowl. Add the rice flour, tahini, lemon juice, salt, basil flakes.
5. When the carrots are soft, put them into the food processor until they are smooth. Move to the mixing bowl, along with the onions and garlic.
6. Mix in some of the cooking water from the carrots, or some warm water and mix well to make a thick paste.
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Let the loaf stand in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing. Slice and serve.
Recipe from www.wildflowermorningrecipes.blogspot.com