Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Garbonzo Mayonnaise

It seems that we are adding cashews, almonds, and soy to our list of foods to avoid. It is sad, but with a little more food creativity we will make it. The encouraging news is that my friend just put cashews and almonds back into her diet, so I have hope this is not a forever thing.

We used to make a mayo type spread out of cashews, and I knew how to make it out of almonds and soy. But now what? I mentioned my need to another understanding friend and she told me about Garbonzo mayo. We made some this week, and spread it on gluten free bread with allergy free veggie patties. The results were so good, that there was sadness in the home when the dish was scraped clean. We will be making this recipe often. I have adjusted the original recipe to make it lower fat and less sweet.

Garbonzo Mayonnaise

1 cup water
1/4 c. garbonzo flour (heaping)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. honey
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used grapeseed oil)

Cook water and flour in microwave for 6 minutes until thick. Or if you don't have a microwave, like me, cook it on the stove, or whiz it in the Vitamix until cooked. Add lemon juice, salt and honey. Whiz all ingredients in a blender or the Vitamix while very slowly dribbling in oil. If your impatient like me, spread some on some bread right away, or put it in the refrigerator and it will set up. It will look more solid then regular mayo, because I removed so much oil from the recipe, but it spreads nicely and makes a nice flavor on your bread. Tweek the honey and lemon juice levels if you want more sweetness or less sour in your mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to share good recipes with you. Your comments will help improve the recipes. If you have a question, be sure to ask. If you try a recipe, be sure to come back and let us know how it worked for you. Always remember that taste buds do change and with time a person can learn to really love unfamiliar foods.